I am purposefully making Natasha Student of the Week in the middle of the holiday so we don't need to see each other next week... that could be awkward.
I remember the first time I "met" Natasha. Ms. Ford taught her Math 9 class in my classroom. So, oftentimes, I'd be in the room while the class was taught. Natasha sat by the door and (as far as I can remember) hardly said a word. I remember thinking what an unassuming - meek even - student she was. Then I taught her the following year...
Natasha is NOT unassuming. Natasha is NOT meek. She is an opinionated, bold, and dynamic person! There are so many memories that I have of Natasha. Here's just a few:
- in grade 10, Natasha sat in the same seat as grade 9. Her partner was Hunter. I remember how encouraging Natasha was to Hunter all the time: "Come on now, Hunter. You need to get this done. You can do this Hunter" etc
- Natasha gets VERY involved at our school: creative writing club, knitting club, debate club, Gala organization... this girl does it all!
- Natasha is a good friend. She shows great loyalty and warmth towards her many pals.
- She's also an excellent sister. I've seen Natasha and her sister together many times (at knitting club). Natasha shows a nice balance of looking out for her sister while also giving her the freedom to be herself.
- Sarcastic! Very, very sarcastic!
- Natasha is not a big fan of me and my teaching style. Fair enough. But I would say that she still shows respect for me most of (if not all) the time. And that's really all you can hope for from others.
- Despite her sometimes prickly exterior, Natasha actually has a big heart. I know this from the types of books she enjoys reading, from the knitting she does for other people and causes, for the support she provides her friends and classmates.
- Natasha has an incredible sense of humour. Ironic that the student who is most vocal about not liking me has provided me with more laughs that almost anyone else!
- Natasha gives the BEST class presentations. They are always well prepared, thorough... and hilarious.
- Natasha took Foundations 11 AND PreCalculus 11 last year (not really by choice). It was very impressive for someone who is not a huge fan of the subject (nor the teacher) to give a truly complete effort (and achieve very well) in both classes.
- Natasha has parents!!! (inside joke)